Thursday, June 21, 2012

I don't know if I could have ever prepared myself for what I'd find here... There are more sights and smells and experiences than I could have ever imagined. Our small group of wazungu create quite a spectacle here in Kitale. The population is pretty homogeneous and 5 white people (+ 1 classified as "mwafrika!" walking around in a group is an uncommon sight. On our first day here we all took a post-supper stroll through one neighborhood and you'd have thought one of us was the Pied Piper from the number of children following us down the road.
Most roads here are unpaved, just hard packed dirt which can get interesting after a late afternoon rain shower, which has so far been a daily occurrence, much like summertime in Memphis or Atlanta. But the weather is beautiful, there are cool breezes and sunny mornings, and the town is surrounded by trees and hills and beautiful scenery.
We are only in our third day at Kitale District Hospital but already none of us lack for novel and exciting stories and experiences. I'll let everyone relate many of those on their own, but I'll go ahead and tell you I got to scrub in and assist with a C-section on my very first day! I got to help deliver the baby and cut the umbilical cord and everything. So I'd say we're off to a great start.

Tutaonana (later)!

No comments:

Post a Comment